“Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted.”

-Martin Luther King Jr. (Strength to Love, Harper & Row, 1963, p. 14)

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Formative Church Visit: Shore Mennonite

On our way from Goshen, to Shipshewana to join in worship at Shore Mennonite Church last Sunday, BJ and I were reflecting on how unknowing we were when we drove there 22 years ago for me to interview for a youth ministry position.  I was coming away from a very rewarding experience working as an Adventure Guide with Christian Adventures, and was interested in any kind of ministry that did not entail my serving as a "pastor."  However, I needed work with a baby on the way and college debts piling up.

Something we discovered over two decades ago was still clear in our visit last Sunday; with this congregation an undeniable hospitality is extended.  In fact, it was this congregation's warm acceptance of my family and me in ministry which clarified my sense of call to pastoral ministry - a ministry which found expression among these people.

BJ and I stepped into the church building to be so warmly welcomed that it was clear in a certain inexplicable way to Shore Mennonite Church, we are still as much a part of them as they are of us.  What a joy it was to see these people again - from some of my former youth group (like Stephanie and Sharon), to those who went out of their way 20 years ago to help us find a home, start our family life and earn a living.  Still, even more rewarding than this personal nostalgia was seeing many people who I do not know integrally connected to life with the Shore Mennonite Church.

The worship atmosphere was traditionally familiar, although somewhat more informal than I remember with much of worship being led from floor level rather than the platform and many congregational songs not from the song book.  This is a congregation with clear, if unstated, expectations for community, and this was actually the focus of "Pastor Carl's" sermon (the community coming together to rebuild the temple walls in Nehemiah chapter 4).  Carl's sermon was very well spoken and drew on a number of essential understandings from Nehemiah for the life of the Shore community.

Thank you, Shore Mennonite Church, for your accepting me as a pastor (even before I realized I was one) in 1989 and for continuing to be a hospitable community for BJ and me.

Let me share a blessing I have been reading every day from Common Prayer: A Liturgy for Ordinary Radicals:
May the peace of the Lord Jesus Christ go with you; wherever he may send you; 
may he guide you through the wilderness: protect you through the storm;
may he bring you home rejoicing: at the wonders he has shown you;
may he bring you home rejoicing: once again into our doors.


4 comments:

Joelle said...

Steve, I read your blog because I was curious about the title. It was refreshing to read a positive post about a church experience! I love the local church, and while its not perfect, there's so much that is good about it as you have communicated. Seems like so many blogs that people write about the church are about the problems, and what's wrong, etc. So thanks again for a refreshing post.

Kim said...

I can't imagine what you would have to say had Joel and I been there and you would have been able to enjoy our hospitality! the picture would probably been of us and not the church....just sayin'!

Anonymous said...

Steve, you two ARE still family to us all!

Anonymous said...

That you are doing these church visits with Barb (BJ) makes for wonderful dialogue about how you each experienced these churches then and now. Rho